FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, Feb. 16, 2023 (Carman, MB) – Manitoba Crop Alliance (MCA) has awarded six students from Manitoba with MCA 2022-23 bursaries valued at $2,000 each. The six bursary recipients are Kaitlyn Christine Hunt-Delaurier from Laurier, Lianne Rouire from Treherne, Milan Lukes from Gunton, Stephanie Manning from Souris, Hannie Peters from Ile Des Chenes, and Alison Manness from La Salle/Domain.
“I would like to congratulate all our 2022-23 bursary winners and thank all the students who applied,” says MCA Chair Robert Misko. “It is clear from the quality of all the bursary applications we received that the future of the agriculture industry in Manitoba is bright.”
MCA established the bursary to assist with the financial needs of students who are enrolled in a post-secondary agricultural program within the province of Manitoba.
Bursary applicants needed to meet the following criteria:
- Have completed their first or second year of post-secondary education at the college or university level (diploma or degree) and are enrolled full-time for the 2022-23 school year in an agricultural program within the province of Manitoba.
- Have achieved a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0.
- Have an interest in wheat (spring or winter), corn, barley, flax or sunflower crops, or agriculture in general, as demonstrated in a brief, one-page letter.
- Are from a farm that is a member in good-standing of MCA.
- Have not previously been awarded an MCA Bursary.
An independent selection committee was contracted to evaluate the applicants based on their connection to or interest in agriculture, explanation of why they decided to enroll in an agriculture-related post-secondary program, how they hope to benefit the agriculture industry once they have graduated and are in the workforce, and their academics and writing skills.
This year, the selection committee included James Frey, applied production specialist with Manitoba Agriculture, and Rachel Evans, technical sales manager at FMC Canada for Manitoba and southern Saskatchewan.
For more information about the MCA 2022-23 bursary program and to read biographies of the winners please visit mbcropalliance.ca.